Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Jambalaya / my first memory

Yes! Infants can have some kind of an internal memory from a very young age, even as early as in their mother`s womb. This is not only some mystical or spiritual approach but rather a medical fact.
Anyway, here comes my very first memory! When my Mom was pregnant with me, she would sing this song a lot. Quite a funny one, isn`t it? The words might not make much sense to those not familiar with the Bayou (I personally thought most of it was baloney before I had an American friend explain it to me - and thanks to the same ever so dear friend the words are here now), but I`ll try to translate it into Hungarian anyhow. That will be even funnier...
The song is well known by the Carpenters. Here is Richard Carpenter`s introduction:

JAMBALAYA (On The Bayou)
Music and Lyrics by Hank Williams
This Hank Williams classic, introduced in 1952, peaked at #1 on the country chart by Williams himself, and at #3 on the pop chart, by Jo Stafford. The rhythm track to our version was recorded in 1972, and put aside. We completed this track in early 1973, for inclusion in our upcoming Now & Then album. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise as A&M’s affiliates in Japan, England and Holland culled it as a single and it performed extremely well. In Holland, a bit to our surprise, it became our biggest hit ever.


Jambalaya

Good-bye Joe, he gotta go, me oh my oh
He gotta go-pole the pirogue down the bayou
His Yvonne the sweetest one, me oh my oh
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou

Thibodaux, Fontaineaux the place is buzzin'
A Kin-folk come to see Yvonne by the dozen
Dress in style the go hog wild, me oh my oh
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou

(*) Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and fillet gumbo
Cause tonight, I'm gonna see my ma cher a mi-o
Pick guitar, fill fruit far and be gay-o
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou

Settle down far from town get him a pirogue
And he'll catch all the fish in the bayou
Swap his mon to buy Yvonne what she need-o
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou

No comments:

Post a Comment